Sunday, May 12, 2013

Part 2...Mia's birth

I remember Meri's face exactly as we walked into the room for the first time. I said previously she looked lovely and it's true. She was shining. It was wonderful to have a few hours to just sit and chat. We saw her less than 3 weeks ago but we have been missing her so it was good to catch up. 

She also let me put my hand on her stomach and feel the contractions and feel Amelia kicking. I was amazed! Meri went into labor all on her own and her body knew just what to do. To see that in action and to feel her stomach involuntarily contracting...sounds medical of me but it was really cool! What also made it cool was that she wasn't in a lot of pain when we got there. I don't think I would've been able to enjoy our time together if she had been hurting. She was a little shaky from all the hormones, etc, and it was hard not to ask her -with each shudder- if she was ok, cold, needed something- anything!!! haha. She always reassured me she was okay. Looking back I have to laugh at who was comforting whom. 

Oh right. Her tummy. So I'm over there feeling a contraction and feeling Amelia kick and it's all great and then I push on her in order to feel Amelia better and Meri lets out a Whoa!! I'm like whoa?! What?! She goes, I think my water broke! lol I should've been on candid-cam or something because in my nievity I thought I had broken it somehow by pushing on her and I felt terrible! And here we go again with the reassurances haha. 

We took a few pictures, texted a few people, watched the monitor a lot, and just relaxed. She showed us how diligently she had been recording each contraction up to the time she entered the hospital. Definitely something I would've done :) She had actually been napping and woke up when they started. Waited a few hours then asked her sister- is this what they're really supposed to feel like? Uh, yup! Meri's sister was with us at the hospital too. We all get along very well so we had fun catching up with her also. She's been such a rock through this process. She allowed us to meet her family, come into her home, jump on the trampoline with her kids :), and has welcomed us with poise and Christ like love. In fact, all of Meri's family has been that way and it has taught me that although that is how I try to live my life and how I strive to be, I think I still have work to do. 

Once her water broke, there was no stopping now. The epidural had been placed while we were driving down and it was pretty close to show time. We all felt a sense of loss because her parents were on their way, trying so hard to get there in time. It was absolutely in all of our 'plan' to have them there. I'm sure those of you who are reading and have babies agree, however, there's no such thing as a plan when it comes to birth! I remember thinking, can't we slow this down or something? They're so close to getting here! But then I looked at Meri's face and I could tell she knew. She was going to have this baby any minute and there was no waiting. 

As the nurses prepared the room we prepared to leave to wait in the hall. This had been our plan and we were completely on board. When the moment came however, Meri surprised me with a gift (she's an excellent gift giver by the way). In my life certain events will always be with me. Memories that as fast as you can blink, I can relive, they're so vivid.

She asked me to stay.

 Brad was such a gentleman and left the room, kissing my stunned face as he left. I really was surprised though. Surprised and honored and overwhelmed with love for my friend, my birthmom, my sister. I got up by the head of the bed and wedged myself between the bed and the monitoring machine. Soon it was time to push to assess how things were going. I held her hand to give her something to push against while I held the back of her neck.

Did I mention two days before she went into labor she was still going to the gym and working out like a machine?? Um yeah the woman is a superstar. After only a couple pushes the nurses are like Stop! stop! We have to get the doctor! You're too efficient and strong and she's going to come right now if you don't stop! 
haha. And it was true! Once the doctor got there she gave 1 set of 3 good pushes and on the second set she didn't get all the way through it before Amelia shot out like a rocket into this world. 

It was the most beautiful thing I have ever witnessed in my life. 

She was so clean. So perfect. So pink and healthy. As I marveled at the umbilical cord I remember having a running conversation in my head...

Oh look, the cord! 
Wow it's kinda pretty.
Odd color...I'll have to ask Brad about that...
Hmmm now they have to cut it right?
Oh yeah the Dad normally does that.
Oh sad.

My heart felt heavy for a millisecond and it's a good thing it wasn't longer because then I thought:

I could do that.
I could cut it. Maybe I could.
Hmmm clamping now.
I whispered over the shoulder of the closest nurse,
Can I cut the cord?
Then, with urgency,
I would like to cut it if that's okay.
Before I knew it I was maneuvering my body around all sorts of people there to help and I heard someone yelling, I want to cut the cord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
haha. Uh, yeah, that was me.
The doctor looked up and said okay, here you go!
Everyone was patient while I took hold of the instrument and cut through my daughter's umbilical cord. A moment I will cherish forever and ever and ever...another gift from Meri :)

Then they took Mia and placed her on Meri's chest. I loved that. Seeing them together was so sweet to me. It was then that I had a moment. The new-mom-oh-my-gosh moment. I've seen it in pictures of my friends now that I recall but I really hadn't been crying kind of emotional during the whole part leading up to my moment. I just stepped back and cried. My heart was full to the point of pain and joy and...just everything. I'm not eloquent enough to know the right words. I was trying to breathe and not make a scene and then Meri's sister came over and just held me for a minute and let me cry onto her shoulder. She knew what I was feeling and I felt that in her embrace. How she knew just what I needed, I have no idea. Maybe because she's felt it as a woman and mother. Looking back I shouldn't have borrowed her away from Meri but somehow I'm also unsure how I would've gotten through it without her. If you're reading this, Thank you I love you!

Then it was time for the photographer to step up (um, me, although these pictures aren't very clear haha so maybe I shouldn't take credit!) as they weighed her- 

5 lbs 14 oz 

and measured her- 

18 inches, 

diapered her up and let her warm under the light. They let me put this stretchy pink hat on her and she was so incredibly alert. Haha I'm shaking my head as I write this and recall how she was just totally eyes open turning her head looking all around at us, the lights, just absolutely awake. Meri was being taken care of by the doctor during this time so I was texting with Brad (he helped Meri's parents when they arrived to find the birthing area more quickly) and taking pictures trying my hardest to capture each step. Man those nurses are fast. Very efficient and not slow by any means. I was having trouble keeping up with them and almost missed her being weighed! Luckily Brad reminded me to catch it before he left so as I blinked and Amia was gone and on the weigh station I quick turned and caught it. 

Then everything was happening fast. Brad and her parents came in, Amia was given her first bath, bundled, and passed around.

She is precious. Today as I write this she is 3 days old and has cried, collectively, that I've personally seen, about 8 minutes of her life. Don't worry, I'm not dilusional, I'm sure the crying will come but for now I'm enjoying her sweet little protests when something bothers her. She specifically seems to not like anything over her eyes or eyebrows. 

Ah, but I'm jumping ahead of myself. Oh yes there is so much more to say...
in another post... 

so sweet under the warmer

Meri's sister took this picture of me putting on her first article of clothing

First bath! She has dark, wispy hair that is very soft. No bald spot in the back yet but she's got some long hairs that are over an inch long :)


Under the heat light. Brad & I could hardly take our eyes off her. She is so incredibly beautiful.


Getting her weight. She actually wasn't crying but I'm sure she was startled being put on that thing!


Fresh into the world at 6:40am

Such long skinny feet! I love them so!

Our first picture the 3 of us.

As I write this and include pictures, we are maintaining our identity-protection of our birthmother, Meri. Which is actually way difficult because she is the superhero of this story. She is the brave heroine who is loved by all. Her character is unwavering and in 7 months has yet to stop amazing me. 
Meri, these pictures are of us and of Amelia but in our eyes, you are center stage in the spotlight- right where you belong.
Yesterday was National Birthmothers Day. Today is Mothers Day. We are honored to share these special days with our Meri!


6 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats guys! She is absolutely perfect and your love for her is overwhelming. What a lucky little girl to have so many people who love her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Erica! I am so happy for you guys and the wonderful experience you have been through. I was tearing up reading this blog post. She is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story. It was a really emotional experience for me to read it and feel like I was there with you. Amelia is such a special little girl I love her already and though I am sure I will never meet her I love meri so much as well for what she has given you. I can't wait to meet your precious baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl! I love reading your posts and look forward to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your story! Loved it so much and am so happy for you. She's beautiful. You all have so many beautiful experiences to look forward to as a family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. <3
    Superhero birth mom and Amazing mom and dad!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete