After Brad left to go home to Des Moines on Sunday it was just Mia and I until the papers cleared. When she was first born they were saying Monday, then it was Tuesday, and finally it was pushed back to Thursday. In many ways, I really didn't mind. It was like a time warp that I was happy to be apart of. Everything was focused on her (who am I kidding...it still is! :)) and we slept, ate, and played to her schedule. We missed Brad terribly but besides that, it was bliss not having a single other responsibility.
My sister sent an awesome package while I was there- a diaper bag filled to the brim with goodies! As if that wasn't awesome enough, her and my Dad teamed up and bough enough Jason's Deli to hold me over for three days haha and they even had it delivered! We had a refrigerator in the room but it didn't keep things very cold and the meals we had planned to eat while there didn't exactly work out since they had to be tossed. The hotel provided a 'grab and go' breakfast but let's face it, it was a coffee stand with granola bars. Weak sauce. So whenever I think back to those days I was with Mia alone, that sinfully amazing food is always something I remember!
I had a few visitors...Meri's sister came with her daughter and she surprised us with a Merida doll that we had all seen together last time we were in the Disney store. Oh how I wish I could show you the picture of Meri holding the doll! It's really quite funny the similarlites :) She also brought some books which Mia has loved and another very special gift. She brought a pearl bracelet for her to wear to the temple to represent their family. It is beautiful and so sweet. I can't wait to see her wear it in the Lords house as we are sealed as a family.
Mia and I also had Meri and Elinor come one night. Things had been going alright but I had gotten some stellar advice earlier in the day- sleep when the baby sleeps! So she went down for a nap (? I think they're all naps at this point, not sure) and it was about 9:45pm and I thought I'm not super tired, but I'll lay down anyway. I got jammies on, turned off the lights, and was jjjuuuusssstttt about to fall asleep when my phone lit up to say I had a text. I was going to ignore it ( I mean, I would've been up in a couple hours anyway...) but then I saw it was from Meri. She wanted to come over! Right then! Yippee!!!!! I was so happy. I ran around the room picking up and throwing clothes on haha. Meri and Elinor came and I felt like we had a really good time...they brought some sweet gifts, including an outfit that she ended up going home to Iowa in and burp cloths (THANK YOU ELINOR!!!) and a plaque for her room that is glittery and pink and I love it. Most of all though, the visit felt healthy. Some of the high emotions from Saturday had not gone away but perhaps the balance between emotion and logic and love had evened out a bit. I don't know. It's hard to put it into words but I went to bed that night so happy! Which was excellent because we had actually had kind of a rough day...
By the time I was fed up with trying to reach the pediatrician who had seen her in the hospital and nobody else would see us, Mia had not had a poopy diaper from 6pm-3pm. I had a few additional concerns and decided to take her to Urgent Care. Not because I really thought it was 'urgent', per se, but nobody else would see us and yes I was concerned! I was mad that we kept being turned down by pediatricians because we weren't going to be establishing care with them OR the other reason they gave was "well, I don't think we take your insurance". Fine, I said, I'll pay cash. I don't care, I just want her to be seen and to be reassured! What made it all worse was the pediatrician who saw her in the hospital has an office and guess where that office would be? On State Line Road. Yeah. So Kansas was on one side (Mia and I) and the doctor was on the other side and I couldn't cross the street. Frustrating! Anyway, I'm not going to dwell on that because the point is, Mia is fine. She actually went #2 at Urgent Care and I openly admit I cried as I held and rocked her and told her how good she was for going potty. The nurses and doctor were exceptional and I felt reassured. Nothing about our visit was rushed and Dr. Holly spent so much time just sitting and talking with me (while I ate my cheese stick and goldfish crackers they gave me...lol...) answering each question with such patience. Because here's the thing. I read a lot about babies before Amelia was born. I did all sorts of research. I'm around babies all the time. But when it's your baby and you're all alone and you feel helpless. Oh.my.heavens. It's a different ball game my friends.
Anyway the papers cleared Wednesday and as Mia slept I loaded the car. I had time to think as I packed each little sock (none of which fit- her feet are so skinny!) and burp rag and blanket. I felt excited for the big change of coming home and all that lies ahead for us. I felt a little tiny bit sad to leave my bubble of the hotel. As I dropped by to see Meri and her family once more, I knew it was right. That didn't make it easy, but I had that confirmation come to me again that I needed to go raise Mia with Brad to the very best of our abilities. I had to laugh because it turns out Meri had been kinda hanging back not wanting to go until we did and I told Brad, I'm not leaving until she does! haha but we called 'truce' and it was time for me to return to Iowa and her to her home. She has the brightest future you can think up.
Crossing the Iowa border. I know, I'm an awesome photographer. Book your session today!
See the bracelet? So precious
She actually smiles a lot and don't say it's from gas!
Meri knitted this lovey for Mia. It's so soft and she can put her little fingers through the gaps. I still marvel at how even each of the rows are!
Almost the same size!
First story with Mom from Meri's sister. She lay so still and was totally awake and alert loving each minute. I think that feeling was mutual :)
Playing footsie with Mom while reading
shameless selfie
Meeting cousin Averi on skype- their birthdays are one day apart!
She makes the best faces!
To show you how small she is :)
Skyping with Daddy who missed her....er....I mean us sooooo much!
More books
Precious Mia











Thanks for posting and chronicling the whole story. It's been an experience reading them. I wish I was closer and could help you and Brad - and bring you food! (I'm so glad your Dad and sister took care of your while you were in the hotel.)
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree about it being a whole different ballgame when it's your baby. We practically held a party for Max's first poopy diaper (it was a long time coming and as first timers we were nervous about everything.)