Tuesday, May 7, 2013

From Grandma DeKorte


We got the sweetest package from my Mom the other day. It included this blanket as well as a onesie that Charity had picked out. Thanks Char!

My Mom has the most beautiful hands I have ever seen. Each joint, scar, freckle, crease, and callus was formed through repetitive service...raising children and holding grand babies ...years of doing flowers and giving love to too many to count. When I see my Mom's hands, I view them as precious. It's like holding the very rope that you know saved a thousand people. There's such a peace and calmness about her. Mom and I used to do wedding flowers sometimes when I was home. I loved watching her touch each flower...feeling the petals, leaves, and stems thinking about how they will turn and twist to be just perfect.

Mom's hands also cause her a lot of pain. When I saw the blanket I saw all the hours of careful work going into an object that represents all her self will to continue when it hurts her so. I wanted to cry when I saw all the beautiful rows knowing how badly her joints must have ached afterwards. She lamented that it isn't as big as she had wanted to be but honestly? It's so amazingly perfect. It has a light white strand going through the pinks and is soft like you wouldn't believe. I've already washed it and it held up wonderfully, just like Mom said it would.

It's hard to receive such a gift and not be right there to give my Mom the biggest hug ever. To thank her on behalf of Amelia who will enjoy it immediately but it might take her a couple years to express her appreciation :)

Mother, I love you. Thank you for using your talents to bless Mia.

2 comments:

  1. This it the tears flowing. Beautifully said Ca. We love all three of you so so much. I can't wait to see my baby girl Amia wrapped in that blanket!

    ReplyDelete