Wednesday, June 19, 2013

It's official!

Monday was a day we had been looking forward to for nearly 6 weeks. We were a little nervous wondering what court would be like and wondering how things would go. Mia's not a big crier but of course I was hoping she wouldn't scream the whole time :) We got up early and made sure we had plenty of time to make the drive, change Mia into her dress, eat, and meet the lawyer ahead of time to walk us through what would happen. Mia was an angel the whole way except the last 10 minutes when she was just plain hungry and fed up with being in her carseat for 4 hours. I am constantly amazed at her darling little personality. How calm and patient she is. I have a feeling I will have a lot to learn from this daughter of mine. 

After we got to the court house, went through security, and spoke with our attorney, there was some waiting outside the court room. We were waiting for the judge to return and it was a great opportunity to soak up Mia time that I had missed so much on our drive down. We always spend the mornings together and I had been missing my girl. We took a few pictures and then I danced around with her humming the Sleeping Beauty song ....I loved you I walked with you once upon a dream....




Then we went inside to wait and we snapped a quick picture before the judge came back. The entire event took about 10 minutes. They asked us our names and address. Then we raised our right hands and swore that everything we said was in honesty. Next we promised to care for her every need and to provide for her financially, emotionally, and educationally. He reminded us at the end that there 'were no returns' and that 'from this day on she will be your daughter as though she had been born to you'. I smiled because, as Meri often said, she always was ours. We will accept our futures just as all parents must. Oh how we love this angel. She fell asleep once we were in the court room and sweetly listened to my heartbeat on my chest. She looked lovely in her new dress and her pearl bracelet from Meri's sister. 

 Oh, right. What was court for? From the time Mia was born until court she carried Meri's last name. Now she will have DeKorte and our names will be on the parents line on the new birth certificate that is being processed.






We took a few pictures outside. It was overcast but sooo bright so we're trying hard not to squint. It was warm in the court room surprisingly but she still kept her lovey Meri made for her. She loves it and it's always nearby. 



We were driving home and were finally out of the city when we decided to stop to eat. Of course after seeing signs for the Toot Toot Cafe, how could we go anywhere else?? :) Mia got a bottle and we had our meals. She was happy to be back in her jammies!


All in all it was a good day. I felt especially lucky to get to spend all day with my two loves. It was strange to be going back to Kansas and not see Meri or her family. We had wanted to get together with them but they were on vacation elsewhere. Lately I have been missing Meri quite a lot. It's been awhile since we've seen her and I guess I'll have to get used to that but it's still not easy. I am hoping we get to see her by the end of the year. It's been funny to me how many people ask if I've heard from her since Mia was born. hahaha. Um, yeah. We are absolutely in contact and there aren't many days that pass where we aren't sending texts or emails. Some about Mia, and others just sisters passing back jokes, pictures, and daily stuff. To say I feel blessed by my life would be a drastic understatement. I am the most blessed person I know. Meri, we love you and hope you're having a wonderful day!

1 comment: