Awhile back I had promised to post pictures of the gift I was making for my niece, Alison. An angel must have been helping me in the night because somehow I got it done by Christmas- and no, not on Christmas Eve! Ahem...I broke tradition on this one...!
Anyway I had been seeing my sister Charity post pictures of quiet books on Pinterest. They are lovely things but are very time consuming. I knew that being a busy Mom to two, wife, and church leader wouldn't give her much time to accomplish this for Alison. So together Brad and I designed this and we kinda love how it turned out. I can't wait to make one for my daughter someday!
The front. The fabric is wonderful. Dragons and knights working and playing together. I fell in love the second I saw it.
I embroidered the front. I wish I had used more contrasting colors but I still think it looks okay.
First page- the flowers button on and off
I embroidered each one
3rd page- the ornaments go inside the red box and so does the star. It snaps closed and there's a ribbon for learning to tie.
4th page- the hands move on the clock
Mrs. Potato Head and her closet
The hat, mouth and eyes are reversible. I still need to make a few more accessories, like her purse.
This was a favorite. The left side is a pie and she can practice doing the lattice. The bottom part is also a pocket so she can make different kinds of pies. The right is a cherry tree and the cherries go either in the basket, on the tree, or in the pie.
Super hard to tell in this picture but I embroidered M+C with a heart into the trunk- her parents initals
The worm was Brad's idea- among others!!
The cherries are actually plastic stickers I found and thought were pretty awesome. So I attached them to the felt. I bought an extra package in case she looses a few :)
Last pages- counting on the left...yeah it looks simple but that was one of the hardest lol. And on the right is an I-spy page. I also put snaps in the upper corners so when she gets bored of this page I can just make another, attach the snaps, and it will go right on there.
The back. The dragon is reading to the knights. I love it!
His spine horn spike thingys and our names are embroidered in glow in the dark thread. Next time I'll do it a little thicker but the report back is that she can see it and loves it which is good enough for me!
Somehow I can't find the pictures of her opening it or of when she got a little irritated because it was getting passed around and she wanted it back lol. She's 3 and I wasn't sure if these were the right activities for her but she ended up liking everything I think. It brought me a lot of joy to be there when she opened it and especially when, yes, I'll be honest, she put aside the glittery and flashy toys and wanted to play with her book. Melted my heart and made the many, many hours all worth it.
Auntie and Uncle love you, Alison.
Happy (almost!) Birthday!







The book is adorable. I love it!
ReplyDeleteSo cool!
ReplyDeleteWow! Very impressive. Didn't know you were so crafty.
ReplyDeleteWow girl, so amazing! You could sell these, but probably takes long enough that you would have to charge a lot to make it worth your while. Love it, you do such a good job on all your projects.
ReplyDelete