So...kinda big news here. Because our lifestyle was a crazy one, and hard for some people to understand, it hasn't been something we have talked about much on here. But for the past 2 1/2 years I (Erica) have been commuting and living partially away from home.
Ok, let me back up.
Five days after Brad interviewed at Des Moines University to go to medical school, we had the letter of acceptance. That is way fast as far as these things normally go. As soon as we got that letter I started looking for a job in Des Moines. I actively searched for 8 months... and then August (2010) finally came. We had a choice- do we lose our insurance, income (when we had just bought a home), and financial stability (there were other consequences for quitting my job but these are just a few) by quitting without having another job lined up in Iowa? Or should I continue living in Utah and working at the University of Utah and do the 'responsible' thing? Medical school debt is terrifying and I'm sure that played into our choice. So I did keep my job in Utah. I flew home for 3 days every other weekend for five months straight. I was so lucky to have wonderful friends to stay with while I was there that opened their homes and hearts to me. But it wasn't the same as being with Brad at our new home.
We were really torn... what does Heavenly Father want us to do???
Then after being apart 5 months I got a job in Council Bluffs, Iowa which was 130 miles each way from our home in Des Moines. This job seemed amazing because yes I would still be commuting but I could be home in two hours! Plus they would help me complete my training in Echocardiography- to scan the heart. This was one of the biggest advantages to the job. So I rented a room from a co worker who also was commuting and I was able to be home 3 days a week most weeks. It was a huge blessing because yes, I was able to register in Echo and I was able to provide us the insurance and income we needed. At the times when it was most difficult we would remind ourselves that it would all be worth it in the end and we needed to push on. Then in May I got a second job at the hospital here in Des Moines working during the time that I was home. I did this not because I'm some sort of crazy workaholic but because I wanted to get to know the people here, try to possibly work more there in the future, pay for our (always hopeful!) upcoming adoption costs, and because they needed the help. I was stretched thin, but we pushed on.
Well you can imagine what ended up happening. It's horrible to be away from your spouse, your best friend, the person you want to see each and every day. We had been praying for months to know what we should do about my job. And then, when I went to work on October 23rd, I put in my notice to quit. Eight days later we got an interesting email from Sam...
I have now been a stay at home wife for two weeks. In these past weeks I have felt my testimony grow more than it has in the past year. We cannot deny the blessings we have been given and we know it is from following the prompting to do the hard thing. He has literally opened the heavens for us. That is how we feel. Little and big things alike have been coming together, so seamless it's like it was in the plan all along :) We had wanted to write about the big change on here before but were somehow nervous that people would be worried that we wouldn't be able to pay for the adoption or costs associated with raising a little one. We also didn't want to come across as irresponsible or inconsistent. Well, have no fear. We have no worries about paying for things and we have had our hearts calmed by the only One can, reminding us we did what He wanted us to do. And how responsible is that?
Since I have been home it has been pretty great. Every morning I get up with Brad -no matter the time haha!- and pack his lunch, make breakfast, say prayer, help get ready, and wave at the window. Then I start my day of tidying up, making meals, crafting, working on all the different adopting things we have going on- like the blog!, doing photography, and lately- repainting and totally redesigning our front living room! I am certainly not bored. Luckily I still get to work at the hospital here in Des Moines- but it is on my schedule. If I don't want to work, I don't have to. I can pick and choose. It's amazing because this is the exact set-up we were hoping for once we become parents.
We can feel the Lord's hand in our lives and we cannot deny the beauty of His plan.
loved this post! Yay for you guys!! :)
ReplyDelete