Have no fear for giving in
Have no fear for giving over
You better know that in the end
It's better to say too much
Than to never say what you need to say again
Even if your hands are shaking
And your faith is broken
Even as the eyes are closing
Do it with a heart wide open
A wide heart
Say what you need to say
-John Mayer
I loved these words this morning. I've heard the song a
million times but for some reason this morning reading the words was especially
significant to me.
In talking with people about adoption... it can be
difficult, I'm not going to lie. There's no way to sugar-coat it. It can feel
so vulnerable putting yourself, your thoughts, your feelings and
experiences out there and then hoping that a connection between you and that
other person has been made.
We have worked hard to be our true selves on this blog and
in life. If you ever meet us in person hopefully you will feel this way as
well.
I think this morning I feel a little reflective about the
situation we have placed our hearts in- choosing to adopt. I recently asked a
pen pal, who is a mother who has adopted, how do you put yourself out there
completely and yet still protect a small part of your heart so getting hurt
won't feel as bad? I knew the answer already but she wisely put it in words
that said simply, it can't be done. You're either you and you give all of you
or you're out and you hold back and protect. As Brad and I talked about this,
we knew we wanted to be in the first group. Hopefully we have always been there
as that has been our goal. That means that sometimes we will say the wrong
thing. We may not know what to say at all. We are trying and we are not
perfect. As our testimonies of adoption have grown, we have come to rely on His
plan for us and His devine knowledge of all things. We have come to rely on the
fact that we will do the best we can and He will make up the difference. He
loves us and will help us find our family members who are not yet with us.
Today, on Thanksgiving, we are grateful for our
loving Savior in whom all things are possible, even a family.
Love you Erica!
ReplyDelete