Tuesday, February 26, 2013

All dressed in White

In the LDS (Mormon) faith, we believe the Temple is where you can be married, or 'sealed', to your spouse or family forever. We don't use the term 'until death do you part' because we believe that when you are married in the temple, you will still be together when you die. You can read more about this topic HERE.

Anyway, Brad and I were sealed at the temple in our home town in Oregon. When a couple is sealed in the temple and have children, their children are automatically sealed to them. However, with adoption since I won't have carried our daughter, she will need to be sealed to us. This is an incredibly special event where she will spiritually become connected to our family.

In the temple, our wedding dresses are all white to symbolize beauty and cleanliness and purity. My dress was so amazing. It was covered in pearls that made patterns of roses and flowers. It had bows on the back and a criss-cross pattern with ribbons. It was very ornate :)

I had talked with Meri about cutting up my dress to use the fabric to make the dress Amelia will be wearing and she was appalled lol. It was pretty cute she said, But what if she wants to wear your dress?!!!! I laughed and said I was pretty sure it would be out of style by then.

But then I got to thinking she was probably right. How could I make her dress extra extra special?? I love the idea of pearls. The scriptures talk about their importance symbolically and those verses have always meant a lot to Brad and I. So I asked my Mom to cut off some of the decor from my dress so I could sew it into Amelia's. I am so pleased with what she sent. Now I just have to find the perfect dress for my darling and get to work! I'm so happy!






2 comments:

  1. It's going to be beautiful! So special and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was a "like" button on blogs like there is on Facebook, because I would "like" all your posts. Amelia is one lucky lady to get to be in your family.

    ReplyDelete