Sunday, April 9, 2017

47 Months

Amelia/Mia

You have been working on writing your name, and since Mia is shorter, we went with that one first. Lately, however, you have insisted on writing "the big name" -Amelia- at every chance. It's pretty cute. We are still working on the letters and the direction they go. I had a parent/teacher conference of sorts with your pre-school teachers last week because I wasn't sure we were on track as far as how you are progressing and they said you're doing fantastic! They said it's normal for kids to write letters all directions even into the first grade. You know how to spell the names of your classmates and a few other words based on memorization and repetition. You are constantly playing with the magnetic letters we have for the fridge and have now started pointing out letters in books, on road signs, and places we go. We went to pizza the other day and they asked my name. Before I could get it out, you perk up and yell- "MOM! It's M-O-M. Her name is Mom". Hahaha you were so cute! You've done this several times and I laugh just as hard every time. It's just so sweet.

Speaking of being sweet, lately you have been extra-interested in hearing about when you were a baby. Oh, how your eyes just absolutely *light up* when I start talking about you as a baby. Anything, it doesn't matter- what you wore, what you liked to do, the first time you did this or that. Funny things you did or sounds you made, you love hearing about it all. I'm sure it's a common stage kids go through but I'm really enjoying going down memory lane with you!

A funny Mia quote I quick jotted down before I forgot:
We were reading a book about fish being wise and swimming past a hook with a worm on it.
"Mom, when I'm a Mia-fish will you fisher me? But don't put a worm on the hook, okay? I only like pie".
LOL! What the what?! haha. We hadn't recently had pie, either, so I really had no idea where you got all that from but it made me laugh.

Dad's residency has been a three year journey for our family that has been...challenging. It has been three years of ups and downs and a whole lot of missing one another. Dad and I feel very grateful to be nearing the end of it all and being 76 days to graduation. His career will bring health and happiness to the many people he will counsel as he works in the new city we will be moving to. That knowledge, along with his desire to serve people and work hard, has propelled us forward. However, it has taken time from our family that people can't seem to understand unless they have been through it themselves. Time is something you can never, ever get back. Dad and I have learned this lesson through tears and trials, many of which have been in these last three years. While we have done everything in our power to make our crazy life feel as normal as possible for you, in no way are we blind to the fact that you do indeed feel the ups and downs. Yesterday we had a party for Dad's birthday at our house. Due to work, we haven't really celebrated his birthday since 2014 and even this year, he was studying in the morning, came for the party and to set up a bit an hour before, then had to keep studying afterwards. He has a big board exam tomorrow and it's during a difficult Chief of FMS rotation on top of it all. Anyway, on Friday you and I were setting up for the party the following day. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry when you said, "Daddy's party is tomorrow! I love cake! We will have friends over and cake, that's so fun. Mom? Is Dad coming home tomorrow? Is he coming home to blow out his candles?". You asked me if he was coming to his own party. See, it was Friday and the last time you saw him was the previous Sunday. Our weeks are like that. Terribly, sometimes you go weeks at a time without ever actually seeing him- not even for five minutes. Either he doesn't come home at all or he is home late and out early while you are sleeping. I want you to know that we talk about this a lot. That we think about how to carve out even minutes together, just to give a quick kiss or hug and ask about each other's day. We do paper-chain count downs and FaceTime when possible. I want you to know that this experience has driven us to work hard to find the right job where Daddy can be home- even for dinner. Every.Single.Night. We haven't had that in a single week all through residency, unless we were on vacation. I know that you won't always remember these years, and in so many ways I count that as a huge blessing. On another hand, I will always remember them and count it a blessing that I will never take family time for granted. It will always be a top priority for us and to have that focus, that perspective... I'll never say this journey through medicine has been "worth it", but to have gained something from it all does lessen the pain even just a little. We will be taking four months off this summer. Time to spend together, to adjust, to 'come down' from the stress that has tried to control us for 12 years. It won't be easy, but I know we can do it. Especially armed with that beautiful laugh of yours and a trip of a lifetime...I know we can do it as a family. 

I love you beyond measure.

oxoxoxox

M-O-M

No comments:

Post a Comment