Mia,
I can't hardly believe the changes that happen month to month. When I really sit down and think about it, I realize it's almost as if you are a whole new person every four weeks...and yet you still do many of the things you've done since you were born. You are now officially tall enough, if you stretch as far as your toes and fingertips allow, to turn the lights on and off. You love to do it and it's a favorite game right now for sure. Oh, and the biggest one of all...opening doors! Oh, goodness, it's a whole new ball game as they say!
Your language skills only continue to improve. Specifically, we noticed how instead of only saying "please" and "thank you", you also say "you're welcome". It was really sweet one day I was in the living room and sneezed. From the kitchen I hear a, "bless you", in your darling little voice. You and I were at our friends the Anderson's for my 31st birthday. Daddy had to work very late so our friends wanted to have us over...it was such a special evening, even though we missed him. Anyway, at dinner, H, one of your best little friends ever who is 4 months older than you, said the dinner prayer. Afterwards, I made a comment that I thought we were still a ways off from you doing that. Boy was I wrong! You surprised us both at dinner about 5 days ago when we bent our heads to pray and before either of us could speak, you spoke the most beautiful and heartfelt prayer, complete with "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you Mommy Daddy, Thank you for church...in the name of Jesus...Amen!". Dad and I both jumped up and came around to your seat and gave big hugs and praise. Mommy may have shed a tear...you are too precious for words!
You adore the happy birthday song and we sing that one a lot. In fact, when we went trick or treating, you must've gotten a tad mixed up because at one house (thank heavens it was a patient older lady) you started singing it, instead of saying "trick or treat!". Speaking of Halloween, it was an especially fun holiday for us this year as Papa came to visit. Dad had to work delivering babies on the day of Halloween so the three of us played your new (and first) board game, Brown Bear, and watched a Halloween show (Room on the Broom) while we waited for him to come home. While we waited, you helped me pass out candy as kids came by. It was perfect because then you got to see how it's done. Then Dad came home, we dressed you up in your bumble bee costume- that you love- (well...just to be clear...you loved the dress. The wings, eh, not so much) and went out in our neighborhood to about eight houses. It wasn't too cold, had stopped raining, and we ran into our friends. It was adorable to watch you go up to the door, knock, and say trick or treat or hi or just stare, whatever you decided in the moment. If it was an especially interested person, I would prompt you by asking, what does the bumble bee say? And you were beyond cute when you would then buzzzzzzzz and do this little open/close thing with your hands.
Life has changed dramatically for you this past week. We have been trying hard to figure out if we should potty train you first or get a big girl bed for you first. We went back and forth for...literally...months. We have been getting so many hints you are ready to ditch the diapers. Last week I was trying to change you when you jumped up, stood there in front of me and boldly stated you didn't want to wear a diaper anymore. I can't tell you how strongly you said it...I was taken aback as you don't typically speak like that to me or to anyone else. I paused and you waited to see what I would say. I thought it over and said, okay, we need to go to school right now so let's put your diaper on. But I promise, this weekend, we will potty train and you can wear panties. Boom. You walk right over and lay down so I could get the diaper on you. Still, we floundered...what if we made the wrong choice? Are you really ready? What if it's all just too much doing a bed and potty training and oh by the way you start in your new big kid class in school on Monday? Then Friday we just went for it. I bought a pink! bed and mattress on my lunch then had a friend drop them by the house with me after work. Saturday we got your whole room moved around and by nap you were in your new bed with your pink flamingo sheets happy as can be. When you woke up dry Saturday morning that was the last sign I needed. It was time to potty train. We worked on it all weekend and only had two accidents early on, and the second one was kinda my fault. You did so well! You have loved being a big girl and have been so easy to work with. Sunday you woke up with pink eye in both eyes which was a blessing in a way because we stayed home all Sunday and then I took Monday (today) off work. You had no accidents today...but you still haven't been able to do the big number so we're working on that. So yeah, lots of big changes- bedroom redo, big girl bed, new class at school (it's tomorrow but you know all about it as they have been working to transition you), and potty training.
Just as a side note in speaking of church and going potty I had to laugh last Sunday when your nursery teacher came to get me in Relief Society. She said, Mia told me she needs to go potty. Meanwhile, you are totally thrilled jumping up and down, screaming my name, huge grin. I laughed out lout...Mia is playing you, friend. She isn't potty training yet. We took you back to class but I have a feeling you are going to be doing a few more of these tricks!
Also of note, you had your first dental check up about two weeks ago. No cavities, hooray! You did fairly well... we had to hold you down just a tiny bit so he could get a good look (we didn't do a big cleaning or flossing or any of that) but you know the dentist well from church so I think you were more confused than scared or mad. I was proud of you!
Oh my little darling. How my heart loves you. I could listen to you say "hold you" all day as you reach your arms up to me. I so rarely turn down a chance to hold you as I feel that all too soon you won't need or want me to. Being your Mommy is my dream come true. I love you
oxoxox
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment