Hi Baby.
I have been wanting to write a letter to you for a couple of months now but life sure has a funny way of getting busy. You are full of life and energy and I wanted to take a few moments to write down some of the things you are doing right now to remember for later. I have been trying to make a mental list of the words you are saying. It's tough because sometimes you'll say a word perfectly then never say it again and then most days it really seems like you have a new word, or two, each day. So here is a rough list.
Words:
Mom, Momma, Ma Ma Ma Ma...
Da-da
shoe (zhuu!)
sock (this is close to shoe, but we can tell. There is an -ak sound at the end)
baby
no
hot
uh-oh
go
bye
bath
ba-ba(bottle, usually excitedly whispered)
ball
belly-button (buhh-bee)
book (ook)
car
-You said "tree" on Saturday but I haven't heard it since
-You said "pretty" while looking in the mirror at the babysitters the other day
-You said "kitty" all day in May and haven't said it since
-On Saturday you said "agua" and then on Sunday you brought me a water bottle and said it again. We are making progress now that you are immersed in Spanish all day at the babysitters!
You have specific sounds for:
Can I have more?
What's that?
Are we going to go?
Where is it? (and you put your hands palms up really cute while looking around in earnest)
I SEE A DOG, MOM!!!!
I'm hungry!
Please pick me up. Now.
You have signs for:
eat (I only showed you this ONE time and you got it perfectly and have been doing it consistently for about a week now. Proud Mama :))
more
all done
We are working on thank you and water right now.
Our days are very busy right now with me working. You are finally starting to adapt to our schedule and I can tell how much you enjoy going to Miss Jennifer's house. She speaks Spanish to you all day and you even watch movies (like ToyStory3) in Spanish. We are excited that you are getting constant language learning since we have had a hard time being consistent here at home. In the mornings, we wake up around 6 and get ready to go. You eat breakfast and I pack my work lunch and your day care lunch. We are out the door by about 7:15am. Miss Jennifer only lives 5 minutes away which is convenient! After we get there, I stay with you and we play for a few minutes. Then I give you kisses, tell you bye-bye, and head out to work. I used to try to sneak away but then I read that's not great for you so we have switched tactics and it's actually going well. Then I work all day and sometimes get to have lunch with Dad where we watch videos and look at pictures of you and talk about you the whole time :). Then I'm off at 5 and it's only 10 minutes until you're in my arms. A couple of days ago you all were outside in the backyard playing on the awesome play structure when I got there. I came in through the back gate and when you saw me you started to laugh and smile and run towards me. It was darling and as I ran towards you I just felt my heart was going to burst I missed you so much and was so happy to see you. I pick you up, raise you, swinging. Then I stop and as you look up at me you say, Da Da!!!!! hahaha. Oh man. I had to just laugh. Sweet baby, I said, Da Da is at work but he loves you very much (I always say that when you ask where he is, if he is gone), but I am Ma Ma! haha.
You are looking all grown up these days with your hair pulled back and your tennis shoes on. You are still infatuated with shoes and yesterday when we got home you spent about 45 minutes trying to put your favorite shoes on your babydoll. I couldn't believe the concentration you put into the task. A couple of times you hit the baby in the head with the shoe out of frustration but less than one second later you were back at it. I was impressed with how you reasoned through the process. You succeeded several times, getting the shoe on the baby, and looking up at me and grinning, extremely proud. Then you would take the shoe off, adjust the baby, and start over again. I am starting to get these little glimpses into your personality and how you will handle opposition and things that challenge you.
I have never met a child that enjoys back rubs as much as you. Most kids squirm and wiggle and say it tickles. But you LOVE to have your back scratched or massaged. Today you were feeling extra tired since we stayed out late last night so Mommy could go to Enrichment Night at the church. They had a babysitter so you got to eat popcorn and watch a movie and play with the toys like the big kids. Anyway, you were tired and kept hitting your head by accident... it was just sad. Every time you tried to do something, you missed and got hurt. So you laid down on the carpet and I delicately rubbed your feet. Massaged your heals, arches, and little toes. I rubbed your back and you just laid there, head on the carpet, still as can be. You weren't sleeping and you didn't close your eyes you were just very relaxed. You have stopped taking your morning naps and have gone to only 1 afternoon nap but after that I decided it was a 2 nap kind of day so you are laying down right now and I think you were grateful for the chance to rest.
I can't believe how coordinated you are. Your hands have a dexterity that I am pretty sure is advanced and you are absolutely more coordinated in your walking and running. Yes, you are full on running and have been for about a month. When we were out at Rainier last weekend we let you run around for a bit and some ladies that were also out hiking commented on how well you were doing. They asked how old you were and they were quite impressed with your strength and agility. Then you noticed them talking about you and started to perform "wheels on the bus" and dance haha. The memory still makes me laugh!
I can't think of any food you absolutely will not eat. Chicken is a total hit or miss- I think it's a texture thing. Can't blame you there. Last night I made homemade 'refried' beans and I couldn't believe how thrilled you were, asking for more more more. Yogurt is one of your favorite foods for sure. You like greek yogurt, pear/sweet potato yogurt, and freeze dried drop yogurt especially. Last time we were in Medford I went to Trader Joe's and bought a few packages of foods we've never tried. I bought a rice/veggie mix and a couscous mix, both of which ended up being a huge hit with you. Especially the couscous. I can't wait to get back to another Trader Joe's and buy more. You eat it like I wish I could eat dark chocolate covered almonds :)
You are such a sweet girl these days. About two weeks ago you started playing with my hair, so so so soft. Petting it and separating the curls as you pick them up and play with the hair. I had been thinking about chopping it all off but that thought has now vanished! I love you playing with my hair! I have never once had to remind you to 'be soft' or 'be nice'. You only do it in the evenings when we get home and you are a little drowsy, ready for bed. Every night we read books, pick up your toys (so I don't step on something in the night...we had to learn that the hard way...), say prayers, give Daddy kisses, and then I rock you in Grandma Luck's rocking chair, give you a bottle, lay you down and you go right to sleep. You still sleep on your back, often with your hands behind your head, elbows out. Thank heavens you have started sleeping better at night. All the big changes with my starting work and you going to Miss Jennifer's house messed with your sleeping something fierce. You were getting up 2,3,4 times a night sometimes for 2 hours at a time. That is finally lessening and we are at 0-1 times waking in a night. You are much happier now that you are getting more rest. We all are haha!
I could go on and on about all the adorable little things you do. I love to watch you play and learn. Like this morning when you worked for at least 30 minutes trying to get your onesie on your baby. Never successful, but not frustrated either. Or when you brush your hair then brush your baby's bald, plastic head. Or how excited you get to brush your teeth- so much so that Miss Jennifer asked to keep a toothbrush at her house, too. Or how when I give you a sippy cup you drink some, then raise it high over your head, tip it, and watch the water fall down and spatter on the floor. Then, when the puddle is sufficient enough, you swish your hands back and forth in it until you are soaked. Or how you are finally conquering your fear of stepping on the metal door frame plate thing to go outside. Or how you share your toys and food with other kids- even putting it right in their mouths!
Daddy and I love you beyond words, Mia.
Oxoxox,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment