Saturday, April 21, 2012

Sharing the news

This journey we're going on together, you and I, is a roller coaster to the extreme. That is for certain. No, no contact yet from a birthfamily but thank you to everyone who's asked. I know people have been curious whether or not we find out how many 'hits' our profile has gotten. No, we don't know. And that's probably a good thing because if we did I'm sure the number would be really high. Haha, yeah...we're pretty cool.... 
no, really though it would be from all the other hopeful couples like us! I look at profiles all the time. Mainly because I feel the Spirit when I do. At first I would look at profiles- read their messages and look at their pictures and I just loved to hear their stories. Many, and I mean many, of the families on there have adopted before. Then I started to realize that when I would read their profiles and life stories, I felt the Spirit confirm to me over and over that yes! adoptions do happen. That it could happen to us! I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one who loves to feel the Spirit and reads profiles. So the numbers probably aren't accurate :)

I have been getting questions from people asking how they can help. My answer had always been the same- pass out our cards! Spread the word! Then I got the cards in the mail (which are sooo cute by the way!) and I thought- how am I going to do this? What do I say? Who do I give this card to? Will be be awkward? Hey, know anyone who's pregnant? No? Um....ok...
So these last 6 weeks I've made myself the experiment. That way I can give advice to our friends and family who are so eager to help but don't know how. Ok I'll admit. At first it was kinda super hard. I didn't know what I was doing. But it's gotten tons easier! Because here's the deal. I don't need these cards passed out to cute little pregnant women who don't want their baby. 
Because those women don't exist.
Everyone wants to do a good job. Everyone wants to feel like they're making the right choice. And birthfamilies don't love their babies any less than an adoptive parent like us would. 
So. The goal is to simply tell people about us. About our blog. Hey my _____(friend, relative, acquaintance) is trying to adopt. They're super cool! Here's a card with their blog and you can read about them. Their story is really interesting.
 (Or, whatever). 
It's been working for me so far! When I go to a restaurant, with the bill or tip I leave behind a card. They can throw it away. Or, they might get curious and check out our blog. And maybe they'll tell a friend and so on and so on. We want to make new friends and build and strengthen relationships during this journey. It's a journey of life, not simply to 'find a baby'. Want to be a part of our story? Let me know and I'll send you some cards. Or, you might just get some either way! haha :) 
I keep cards with me all the time. A few weeks ago a lady who works in the cafeteria at the hospital asked me about kids etc and I said hey we're trying to adopt want a card? Check out our blog! A patient last week brought up he had adopted both of his children. He took home a card, too. The main thing is for me to always have one on me so I can be spontaneous. 
K sorry maybe a little long winded but I hope that answers some questions. 
Take home message?
The person you're talking to doesn't have to be a young unwed mother thinking about adoption to know about our blog and our story.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erica! Send me some cards and I'd love to help spread the news! My address is 784 West 260 South Pleasant Grove UT 84062

    ReplyDelete