I've been behind on what seems like everything lately. Life is busy and while that isn't a very good excuse, it's all I've got. Even though I've been working a ton and every day seems packed to the max, you've been a pretty good sport about it and are certainly learning to "just roll with it" more than ever before. I appreciate that so much as I work to juggle everything. I love my big helper!
I registered you for kindergarten on Tuesday. That was really hard for me. I had the idea we would homeschool but I don't think that will work for us anymore. You've really changed a lot this summer. You need more stimulation than ever and are hungry for knowledge like I've not seen before. It's hard for you when I need to do life things...like cook dinner...when you'd like me to teach you to read, do a craft, and sew a wardrobe for your doll- all at the same time. I want to dedicate every second of every day to you but that doesn't seem very realistic. So, for now, we are planning on public school, we live next to a really great one, and maybe next year or the year after when you can read and work a little independently, we can revisit the idea of homeschooling. I'm so excited for all that you're going to learn in school! I have already turned in my volunteer application and am very much looking forward to a lot of time in the classroom with you. You're a big girl now and watching you grow, mentally, spiritually, physically....has been such a joy to my heart. You've got several friends, and even some second cousins, going to your same school so I anticipate you have a very good year ahead of you!
Since I last wrote I feel like so much has happened. We were able to be there for your birthmother's sealing and reception, and what an incredible experience that was! Her entire family was there, minus one who was abroad, and it was amazing to be able to connect with these loving people who have become our friends, our family. I could never say enough positive things about your birthfamily, Amelia. Gosh they adore you. They are sweet, and thoughtful and so supportive of Daddy and I. I cannot imagine living the joys and trials of this life without them. Each are precious to me beyond words. Seeing your birthmom get married in the temple to her sweetheart was such a dream come true! They were beaming and seeing her so happy brought us to tears. She is a wonderful person and is such a choice daughter of God.
On that trip we were able to take a road trip and see friends in Florida and see much of Louisiana. We took you to a sugar plantation on the Mississippi River and on a boat swamp tour on the bayou where you held an alligator and saw lots of turtles. In Florida we stayed right on the water and it was such a treat to spend lots of times with our friends we miss from Washington. While the weather wasn't fantastic, we did get in the ocean a few times. Once, you and I were out there and the waves were coming and I feigned being nervous saying oh oh oh! A big wave! Oh no! And you literally just squealed and yelled, "I'm not scared! I'm...I'm...HAPPY!!!" hahaha it was darling! I hope we can take you to more white sandy beaches with warm water in the future, it was sure a big change from our coastal Oregon beaches! The sand here is dark but white in Florida, of course, and when you saw it you said, "Look, it's white like snow!" haha we got a few looks on that one! You wanted to swim by yourself in the ocean so badly. In fact, you are in swim lessons right now and are working hard to learn to swim. I have never seen you this motivated and I am convinced you will be swimming very soon!
We have taken several trips back up to Washington to see friends and have fun. We've also had Auntie and cousins visit from Texas and your other Aunt is coming from Chicago soon. We have been so blessed with all these visits. You are coming to realize that just because we moved away from Washington doesn't mean we never get to see our friends and I think that has been comforting to you.
When Daddy and I were growing up, we moved a lot. Then we got married and moved even more. All along the way we have desperately wanted you to have a home where you would do all your schooling, a place you felt was ours and we weren't going anywhere. A feeling of total security. This has been a driving force for us buying a home we knew we would be happy with for a long time, not one we'd need to expand and buy again in a couple of years. We bought our home this week and goodness does it feel good! We can't wait to play on the playset with you in the backyard, plant apple trees and have picnics in the backyard. I'm so grateful for Daddy and all his hard work so we can have such a nice place to live and grow together as a family. We hope you love it and look back on this home with fond memories for a lifetime.
Of course, you've been saying some pretty funny things and I'm horrendous about writing them down but I did capture a few quotes:
"I found out that a lion can be 10 feet long from its head to its tail. That's almost as long as a grandma!"
We were driving and saw a big open lot where they were doing some new construction and you said, "What's that? Ooooh! Maybe a roller coaster factory where they make all the roller coaster parts!"
Big wild cats are still your (extreme) favorite these days. You soak up tiger facts and can't seem to get enough. We've checked out tons of library books, bought books, read encyclopedias, and bought clothes with little tigers on them. You're still convinced you want a tiger birthday party for when you're 6. You love how the jaguar is one of the strongest animals and how the cheetah runs so fast. If we watch a nature show on a Sunday, you are captivated by the wild cats and always want to watch those parts again and again. I believe that when we took you to Six Flags last year for your birthday and we fed the tiger that may have started all this, but I can't be sure. It is honestly so cute!
I was thinking about this letter last night and how grateful I am I get to be your Mommy. You could pile all the hard days up and throw them all at me at once and I'd still want to be right here with you. And there are hard days. These letters are sweet, but I've never wanted to sugar coat anything; that hasn't been my purpose. Parenting is a challenge and just because you're pretty darn cute and smart and funny and awesome, doesn't mean there aren't moments I struggle. Through it all, though, I remember how much I want to be here, how I am actively trying to be better each day and how incredibly much I love you. Being your Mommy and a wife to Daddy are the best parts of my life.
I love you, sweetheart
oxoxox
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment