Mia
Mommy is soooo late writing this letter to you. I've tried starting to several times only to walk away with nothing typed. The truth is, three got off to a rough start and I wasn't sure I was up to writing the letter. I've been going back and forth- do I only write all the good, fun stuff that has happened or do I keep it real and say why it's been tough? I'll try to do both.
On Mother's Day (the day before your birthday) our 8 months of planning finally happened. We have been planning and saving saving saving for a fabulous trip for you for months and we were so excited it was actually happening. That Sunday we got on the plane and flew down to Monterey Bay in California. We rented a house a block from the beach and had unlimited access to the amazing Monterey Bay Aquarium. We picked it because last year we took you to this tiny, one room aquarium on the Oregon coast and seriously, you have not stopped talking about it. It was incredible to realize the capability of the memory of a less than 2 1/2 year old. Plus, when we play pretend, you always say we are going to the beach and going to see the animals. Anyway, although you enjoyed the plane ride (yay for ear tubes finally being a plus!) you did not like the new convertible mustang Dad was dying to rent and you did not like the beach. There were a lot of tears on this trip and it was a very expensive reminder to keep things simple while you are this little. Like when we had been home a day or two and someone asked you if you enjoyed your trip to California and you enthusiastically said yes! and went on to describe playing on the swings at the park with a friend from school who obviously wasn't there and we did not go to the park. A touch painful. We tried to go easy and limited the aquarium to one hour a day as well as making sure we had plenty of time for naps in the middle of the day but still, you were tired a lot and got carsick several times. I called my sister and cried that I didn't understand why you were so unhappy and that all we wanted was to give you these amazing experiences. Your auntie is so smart and reminded me it will be easier when we get home and that it's okay.
Of course she was right and since we've been home you have literally been an angel. You have been sleeping better, eating better (you did neither of those on the trip), and have dramatically decreased the temper tantrums. What. a. relief. I was getting so worried that with you turning 3 suddenly poof! my sweet girl was gone and was replaced with a very, very unhappy little girl. You have been back to your old self and we have learned some valuable lessons as parents. Even though it was challenging, of course there were fun and very enjoyable moments on the trip. I'll post some of those pictures later. You did like the aquarium and although we didn't get to see all of it (yes, even after three days! it's huge!), we saw a lot and it was incredible. Just sitting there having dinner and being able to watch the seals, dolphins, and sea otters play in the bay was magical. The weather forecast said 70 and sunny but in true coastal fashion it was 52 and raining. Although the rain at the coast never bothered us, I think it may have made it more difficult for you to enjoy being there. We will keep taking you and I'm sure you will come to love it as much as we do. Maybe someday you'll read this and think your three year old self was crazy for not absolutely loving it haha.
Three is so big, and you frequently remind me of this. You help me fold laundry, cook, clean, and even tell me when to go or stop when driving the car haha. You get your feelings hurt if you feel you've been left out and will cry. Sometimes I don't realize I've done something you wanted to do with me and I feel bewildered but then we talk it out and that always helps. You're a very reasonable little girl and that is such a relief to me. If I explain something you typically try to understand and realize what is going on. I can always tell when you don't feel well- you become the most unreasonable person ever. For example, last Friday we were driving home and I think you didn't feel great. Suddenly you ask me to take you to the Easter Bunny's house to find the eggs and when I said we couldn't because it was a secret place, you completely lost it and were inconsolable. I have no idea what to do in those situations and do my best to figure out what is actually the problem and work on that rather than focus on what you say you are crying about. That being said, typically a good night's rest and you are back to your sweet, happy, playful self.
It makes me happy to see how much you like to read and be read to. You have tons of books and received even more for your birthday. You read in the mornings before we leave if you have time, in the car, and as soon as we get home. When I take you to school I often try to get there early because I know you will take my hand and pull me over to the reading area and ask me to sit and read to you and your friends. I like being there with you and you just beam as the other kids come sit around to listen to me read. You are such a sweet girl and your teachers at school always comment on how helpful and kind you are.
Getting back to your birthday, I think because we like to travel and typically travel in May as it's finally starting to be nice outside, your birthday was kind of the celebration that kept going again this year. We celebrated on the actual day when we were at the coast- we took you to a fun breakfast place, you got to wear a special pin at the aquarium, and you got to open some of your gifts. You got a new backpack which had all sorts of fun things inside for the trip. You felt so big wearing your purple backpack and it was darling to watch you walk around with it. Then we celebrated later in the week with candles and cake and more presents from family when we were in northern California. Then we came back from our trip and you still had so many presents from my family, Dad's family, friends, and your birthfamily, we decided to have just a small party the three of us. I made cupcakes and we put balloons up and put paper on the table all special. You loved it. We had been planning to have a friend party at the park when we came back but it was all just too much. We were pretty overwhelmed when we came home and I was glad to just tone it down and have things a little easier going. It turned out to be the right decision I think. You have the best people you get to call family. They love you and are so mindful about what you might enjoy for your special day. I was emotional just seeing the thought that went into each gift. It was incredibly evident as each one was absolutely perfect for you. A gardening set, a family game, books, toy animals, clothes, a play-dough set... you loved it all. Someday I hope you can look back on this consistency and realize what it actually means. It means love. You are one loved little girl.
Well, sweetie, I hope we can take you to the beach again next year. Hopefully by then there won't be tears about the beach containing sand or that the 'wind is touching' you. Or maybe we'll take you on a different kind of adventure where there isn't sand (no promises on the wind, though ha). Either way, I will never stop loving making memories with you, being around you, or being your mommy. I love being your Mommy. The one you come to with owies, surprises, thoughts, and snuggles. Thank you for loving me back and making my world beautiful.
oxoxoxoxox
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment