Saturday, April 9, 2016

35 Months

Miss Mia,

I won't lie. I cried this morning when I thought my heart might burst as I was telling Dad this is your last month of being two. One and two seem small and still babyish. Now that we're almost at three, you just seem so grown up and I just want to savor each day. It's true in too many ways to describe...you are absolutely growing up. Lately we have noticed your emotional maturity has taken a huge leap. Suddenly you ask, "Mom, are you happy?" as my emotions shift throughout the day. If I am anything other than full of joy (ahem.), you'll ask me that. Or about a week ago or so we were sitting with Dad reading bedtime books and Dad says, Mia, want to sit with Daddy and I'll read to you? You say, um, no thanks, I want to sit with Mom. I was watching Dad's face the whole time- he did not pout or make a sad face or anything whatsoever. He just says, ok. Well you were watching, too, and thinking it over when suddenly you say, Dad, I love you! and you threw your arms around him in a big hug and even gave him a kiss. It was incredibly tender. I can promise you, two months ago you would've said Mom and that would've been that. These changes are enthralling to watch and experience!

You also ask a lot about other people. This has posed a challenge for me since I always strive to answer you honestly. I try hard to avoid white lies such as, Oh, you want to wear your boots in the bathtub? Hmm...can't seem to find them! Or, oh you'd like some fruit snacks...looks like we are all out! I know I do it occasionally to avoid the meltdowns but it's definitely something I work hard at. Anyway, so we'll be driving along and someone will be walking on the sidewalk. Suddenly, it's like 1,000 questions. Who is that? Where are they going? What's their name? Why don't you know their name? Where do they live? Is it a girl? Does she have a brother? Where is her brother? Does she have a dog?... you get the picture. You do actually wait for me to answer each question before moving onto the next one, which I find to be considerate of you. I try to say something creative like, maybe her name is Susan, instead of just saying "I have no clue" all the time but it rarely pacifies you. This is also difficult when we are not in the car but are right next to the person you want to know about. Typically they'll turn around and give me a little smile as I whisper things like, maybe her name is Molly and no I don't think she has a dog and yes I think she is going home after leaving the store just like us. Sometimes I'll say things like, I don't know, maybe we should ask her, but then you become all shy and just want to keep staring and pointing as you ask all your questions while not whispering. Tuesday was another point I should have figured was coming up because lately you are really noticing in your books when people are different races than you. So we are in line when suddenly you <yell>, Mommy! Are they BROWN?! Thank heavens for loud(ish) overhead music. I think the kids heard but probably not the parents. I said, yes, their skin is tan and ours is not. Everyone's skin is okay being different colors. I think what I said was alright but I won't pretend that it came out all that slick. I was pretty caught off guard. I think I might need to read some articles on this because I have a sneaky feeling we aren't done having these very loud, finger pointing at the latino kids, kind of moments.

Speaking of saying funny things, you sure can make me laugh hard as well as keep me on my toes. Last week I was pushing you in the cart through Fred Meyer when suddenly you turn around and exclaim, "ROCK ON!!!" and hold up your hand in the appropriate gesture! It made me miss a certain birthaunt of yours and I know she would've been proud! hahaha! I have absolutely no idea where you got that ;)  Or a few days ago we were getting ready for the day and I said, Mia did you have good dreams? Yes, you say, but you couldn't tell me what they were. I said, hmmm, did you dream about flowers? "YES!", you said, "and Daddy, you were dreaming of gates!" LOL?! What?!

Other funny things you say are like, Oh, that is for babies. All matter of fact. You'll say, "yeah, we don't bite. That is for babies". Haha, I'm like is that a question....or....? Or, Mia can you please stop____. "Oh, sure, yeah, that is for babies". Just thinking about it cracks me up because of your little tone and inclinations as you do it.

You are more curious about our world than ever before. Last week I was making dinner and you were playing in the back yard. Suddenly you burst through the sliding door all out of breath. Mom! Come! Mom! Please come see!!!! I put stuff down, walk over, and you grab my hand and take me to the middle of the yard. (I figured it was a worm because you are terrified of them. In fact, worms are the only thing we have found you to actually be afraid of. It's kind of hilarious until it rains, and they are everywhere, and you won't stop hysterically screaming. lol, ok, yeah, even then it's still just a bit funny!!! Anyway......) You crouch down and all serious say, Mom. The grass is bad. I look and it's a weed in the middle of the lawn. Haha I had no idea how to react! I crouched down and acted verrrrryyy interested. We talked about it and how there are different kinds of plants all growing together and then you were fine with it. You do things like that a lot, though. You want to show me and it makes me feel really special, honestly. I remember feeling like the luckiest Mom to have a daughter that wanted to tell and show me things she was curious about.

You sure are an independent little thing these days. You pick out each outfit from the hair bows to the panties, socks, shirt, and shoes. I get to pick the pants, well, at least currently. You also tell me how you want your hair done for that day. And heaven forbid if I don't do what you say- you feel up and down the back when we are done and there had better be two braids there if two were asked for! I like seeing the things you pick and if you don't "match" perfectly, who cares? What is matching, anyway. If you are happy, I am happy. As long as you are seasonally appropriate I don't see that it matters a ton. The downside is, you only like 4 shirts. You have about 30 and you will only wear 4 of them. I have thought about just throwing in the towel and donating the other 26 or so but I keep holding out hope you'll switch it up. Luckily(?), they are all short sleeved and we were just putting a light sweater on over the top the last few months. Now that it's summer I guess you can just keep wearing the same 4. It's a bummer to spend the money and time picking stuff out for you and you refuse to wear it but that's life right now. You're kind of unpredictable about it, too. For example you have a sparkly Princess Sofia shirt (she's a favorite of yours) that you won't touch. It's tough. Hopefully we move on but if not I'll just pass your adorable, totally brand new, clothes onto another cute little girl.

You are still missing swim classes so Dad and I were thinking about getting you into another activity- dance! There's this great studio that has a variety class for 3-4 year olds where you can try out ballet, tap, and I think jazz? all in the same package. You're a little on the young side so we are going to a practice class next week before signing up just to make sure you'll actually get out there and do it. I honestly don't know what you will do so I'm really excited to see what happens. I can see it going either way. There's another studio that is doing hip hop classes but you have to be a bit older. I think that sounds like so much fun and since you already enjoy dancing, it might be a great fit. We'll see!

We have a huge surprise planned for you for your third birthday! I am giddy every time I think of it and I'm glad we did it that way so I can look forward to these upcoming events instead of the whole actually-turning-three thing. I mean, I want you to get older, I really do, it's just emotional watching you change so quickly. It pulls on this Mama's heartstrings, I can't help it :) I was talking to a new friend the other day and I said you are perfect. And I emphasized perfect. Then I explained, to me, you are perfect. You are perfectly two. It doesn't mean you're infallible. To me, it means you are exactly where you're supposed to be physically, intellectually, emotionally, spiritually....and I love it. Even when it's hard and I need to phone a friend (or a sister) because I'm at a loss.

Through my tears I would still say you are perfect to me.

I love you, my sweet sweet darling. Being your Mommy and a wife to Daddy is still my favorite part about my whole life and I never forget how blessed I am to have you both.

OXOXOXOX,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment