Monday, March 9, 2015

22 Months!

Darling Mia,

These past four weeks since my last letter have gone by SO quickly! You have been through a lot. At the end of February you got tubes in your ears and although we had a few rough patches in there, such as trying to take your oxygen levels when you didn't want the sensor on your finger or toe, overall you were a superstar and Daddy and I were quite proud of you. I had brought all sorts of fun things to do before hand such as stickers and colors. Then I brought treats for after you came out of anesthesia. You didn't want any of it- what you desperately wanted was to just.go.home. Nothing else was even remotely captivating, especially when you came out of anesthesia. Once we got home you were much happier and you had a wonderful day staying home with Daddy. Since your tubes were placed you have been sleeping much better and for that I think we are all quite grateful.

Last weekend we took you on a hike up the canyon. The weather has been gorgeous- 65 to 70 and sunny- just perfect for getting out and enjoying this beautiful state! Part of the hike I carried you on my back and for a little ways you walked. Everything was interesting to you- rocks, leaves, sticks, trees. Watching you explore brought a lot of joy to us. We also brought a blanket and snacks and had fun just sprawled out by the river eating our hummus and cucumbers. I think you're going to love all the outside time we will be having as a family in the upcoming months and will turn into quite the little hiker!

You have been singing almost constantly. You still love Old MacDonald and Wheels on the Bus but have added Twinkle Twinkle and your absolute favorite, ABC's. We sing alllllllll the time. In the car, in the bath, just hanging out haha- all the time. It brightens your mood and even through tears sometimes you'll ask me to sing you a certain song. Music must have a pretty strong impression on you. Two days ago I was in the kitchen and I must have just subconsciously started humming when suddenly you yell, NO!!!! And burt into tears. ?! I was confused and asking, what's wrong?? when suddenly I realized I had started humming the song "I'm going to the Temple", which is a children's church song, and it also happens to be the song I sing to you each night when you're going to bed. Haha I originally did that on purpose- singing the same song each night- so that it would almost be automatic- you'd know it was bedtime and it would help you sleep. I might have to start switching it up a bit and let the teachers at church know what's going on so you don't cry! You just weren't ready for bed in the middle of the day!

You are still our champion little eater. You do such a good job eating your dinner and trying new things. It makes us so happy! Your favorite food is still peas and it's adorable to watch your face light up when we give them to you haha. We are still at a stage where I will give you something, and you'll love it, and the next week, you'll hate it. I'm not completely sure why, but that's okay, we try to just go with the flow and always have backup meals just in case it's one of those times.

Daddy and I are starting to think potty training is really coming up. We even bought a little seat at Target. You are more aware of your bowels than ever before but I'm not sure you're 100% ready. So, we are watching for all the signs and trying to decide when the time is right. These are big changes in your (our) life and so I want to be sure to mention it on here.

Something new you've been doing in the last few weeks- when you get into a situation that is new, and maybe you are a little unsure, you start naming us. For example, we were at church one Sunday and found ourselves in a little group of people. Suddenly, you are adamant trying to get my attention. Mia! you pronounce clearly, pointing to yourself. Yes, I say, you are Mia. Then it's Mommy!, pointing at me, and Daddy!, pointing at Dad. Round and round we go, usually three times sometimes even more, then without any change I can see, you stop. I've been thinking about it more and it does seem to happen when you need that reassurance. It's made me think about when I come up against a situation where I feel that way- unsure- and how getting back to the basics of what I really know can help me get that calm security back. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it but you do have a way of teaching me things I need to learn. I love you for that.

Your vocabulary grows every day. I wish I could list all the words you say. Maybe you are at 50 now? I'm not sure. It is remarkable, though. Watching you learn and grow is just amazing. You have so much spunk and life in you and you infuse that energy into whatever we are doing at that moment. 

I love you, sweetheart.
Love


Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment