At our church, kids stay with their parents for the duration of church (3 hours) until they are 18 months and therefore old enough to be in nursery. After nursery, when they're 3, they become a "sunbeam" and each year move with their class through Primary, the organization for children. Mia has been ready for a long time to join the other kids and we have been struggling to keep her entertained (and quiet-ish) during 3 hours of long church. Going to nursery was a win-win for everyone.
I couldn't stand it and went half way between 2nd and 3rd hours to peek in the door window to see what she was up to. They were just setting up for snack time. One of the leaders said, come here, Mia, come sit on the chair. Mia looks at her, No, and pats the big chair at the far end of the room. I want to sit here, she means. I'm highly interested in this situation because she will need to learn to follow directions and obey and it's great when kids can get this learning at home and from other adults in a variety of settings. Anyway, the teacher patiently repeated herself and Mia changed her mind and came over to sit.
When given her napkin to put her snacks on, she immediately set to "cleaning" the table which, of course, I thought was adorable. I could've stayed there all day to watch her but part of the great thing about her being in nursery is that I get to go to my adult gospel learning class and actually listen. So I left and came back to pick her up in an hour when church was over. She was an angel the whole time, her dress was covered in snack time remains, and she was thrilled to be there. Success!!!
Before we left for church we snapped a few pictures. She hasn't quite gotten the hang of holding the sign but that's ok. She was adorable in her dress and new coat. Oh how I love this girl and all her smiles!


Hooray! Not only is nursery fabulous, but it is SO great that Mia enjoys it! I am always tempted to sit and watch through the window. :)
ReplyDelete