I was talking with my sister the other day and was telling her that I love posting on this blog but every now and then I'm stumped. What can I talk about? What would someone be interested in knowing about us? How cam I show people what we are really about? Anyway, she gave such an excellent suggestion (this is why sisters are awesome) she said, well, what will normal life be like once you adopt... once you become parents? How will things stay the same or change? Aha! Wonderful idea, my dear Watson...er... sister!
When we get the call to come to the hospital for our new family members arrival....wherever that may be, we are 100% ready to hop on a plane or jump into the car. Then we may need to stay in the state where the baby is born for a little while, depending on the laws in that state. Ok when we get home we have the crib and everything totally set up. In July I got the bug and started making fitted crib sheets that was fun. I made two and plan to make a couple more (I hear they get messy fast, right?:) ) once Christmas is past and things settle down a bit- HA! Do they ever?? Anyway, we are hoping the first week we are in our home with our little one Brad can take off from school to be with us. It will be a special bonding time I'm looking forward to. It will just be low key and awesome just the three of us, a long awaited time! Then Brad will have to continue with rotations and go back to the hospital, but he will be home every night. And I'll get to stay home and clean and play and feed and love love love our precious poo-making machine ha!! I can't wait! There are a lot of students our age with little kids and babies around so I'm sure I'll join some cool Mommy play group haha that will be fun. Just FYI: we aren't so big into TV... we have one but we don't have cable, so that wont be a big time waster. I also plan to start sign language with them right away. If we are really diligent with it I know it can be extremely beneficial to their language and growing. Let's see... we have a Honda Pilot which seats 8 so there is plenty of room for all the gear and the groceries. We wanted a super safe car that has AWD and antilock breaks and we love the Honda. It's been such a great car.
Brad's Aunt and Uncle adopted their two children (over 20 years ago now...) and they started an awesome tradition we will keep alive. Along with a birthday, they have a second day that's extra special- the day they were sealed to their parents. It's their name so in this case their daughter has Abbey-Day. Every year on that day it's treated like a birthday where it's a beautiful celebration of them being sealed and it's a time for everyone in the family to stop, take the day off, and be together. Because we are very close with his two cousins that were adopted, Brad and I have been invited to share in these special days. It's not exclusive, it's inclusive and is a constant reminder that families are forever and that they were supposed to be in our family. We love that and will celebrate the day we are sealed in the Temple.
So while I'm at home taking care of kiddo, Brad won't be leaving me all day to play doctor- we spend each morning before he leaves together, meet for lunch sometimes, and he's always home for dinner and has the weekends off. This schedule may flex and change over the next 18 months as he completes his medical school rotations and as he enters his residency. However, one thing is for certain, Brad is a home-body and a family-oriented person and will work hard so that he can come home, relax, and be with his little family. I know he will because he already does. We do not yet know which type of doctor he will be exactly but we do know a few fields that are out- like surgery which would take him away from home too much. He's not interested in that and I'm so relieved! I told him I would support him and we'd 'make it work!' no matter what but still, secretly, I was hoping he would naturally gravitate towards something slightly less stressful to where he could be home more. I really lucked out with this guy, people, I'm tellin ya.
So to sum up... what will home life be life? We will focus on the Savior, on spending time together, on being healthy, and loving the journey!
Oh and making oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, of course... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment