We recently returned from a vacation of many 'firsts' for us. There has been a lot going on in our lives lately with Brad's completing the didactic portion of medical school and the subsequent boards and my working two jobs so we knew we wanted to take a longer trip to sort of get away from everything. We chose to go to Maine for 7 full days, with a travel day on each side. We chose Maine because we didn't want to go someplace too hot, because we have never been there before, and because we have always talked about going there. But the biggest first for us was that this was our first vacation (big vacation that is, not just the weekend-away type...) where it was just us two. We weren't there to visit friends or family. We weren't there to fit someone else's schedule. In fact we had very little schedule to the trip. Our sole purpose was to enjoy being together and being in beautiful, amazing, breath taking, captivating, Maine. This was actually a really tough decision for us because we LOVE our families soooo much. Goodness, they're fun people. But something just said, ya know, it's been 9 years, and it's time. We needed to focus on us a bit during this time before we become parents. And it was awesome. Every day we woke up, said what are we going to do today? And then we did something we've never done before.
Sunset pic off our balcony in Boothbay Harbor
Pic on the Boothbay bridge before we went sea kayaking out to Burnt Island where we hiked around the lighthouse and picked wild raspberries
On the Lucky Catch, a lobstering boat where we hauled them in, then took them to a restaurant to be cooked up for dinner!
Kennebunkport where we had our first lobster roll from The Clam Shack, winner of the Food Wars.
We rented this cute little scooter and went all around the beach and areas surrounding.
One of many, many lighthouses we explored
just two people in love exploring Maine
Owls Head Lighthouse, a favorite
I think I look colder than I felt. I went up to my neck. Would've gone all the way but I had my contacts in and didn't have ear plugs. I loved the water there.
We enjoy photographing churches. This one was right on the ocean. It was gorgeous and open to the public.
This was taken on our lobstering cruise. It's an old war storage type thing.
You can read more about it here.
I liked how this pic turned out.
This was on one of the last days which we spent in Rockport. This Maine blueberry ice cream was amazing and I'm still dreaming of it!
Overall, we had a great trip. It was wonderful being together all the time, something that in a perfect world we would be able to do. We are already talking about returning, hopefully with a little munchkin strapped to my back!
This was on one of the last days which we spent in Rockport. This Maine blueberry ice cream was amazing and I'm still dreaming of it!
Overall, we had a great trip. It was wonderful being together all the time, something that in a perfect world we would be able to do. We are already talking about returning, hopefully with a little munchkin strapped to my back!


No comments:
Post a Comment