Saturday, February 9, 2019

5 years 9 Months

Miss Amelia

I read a quote last week that said, "Motherhood is the greatest adventure". I think that may be my motto for this year, an attitude and mindset I'd like to adopt and keep in the forefront of my mind. The more I have pondered on what an "adventure" really is, I can't help but feel there is no better description for Motherhood. I'm grateful beyond measure to be on this adventure with you, Mia, and with Daddy.

You'd had quite the interesting last month. You've had the flu, flew to see cousins and family, had a head/chest cold, had a playdate with Jacob (finally), and somehow survived almost 2 weeks of Mom working early mornings at the hospital. Which means Dad did your hair. Enough said, there! He got you on the bus and I was there when you got off the bus. It was an exhausting schedule but we made it work and I'm happy it's over haha. Hopefully things will normalize here in the next few weeks as you get over this cold and I rarely work. It has been cold and snowy and I've been itching to get our snowshoes out and tromp around the lakes just north of us. Hopefully soon!

We had a great trip going to see cousins recently. You had lots of fun playing inside and outside and did fairly well going on a quick trip. We went to help your aunt try on wedding dresses and while we were in the area, we got to see your birthfamily. How grateful I am that Daddy and I made a commitment to your birthmom to come visit whenever we could. We have taken it seriously, and so even though we don't see them as much as we would like, it feels good to keep our promise and go there. Then, when we are sitting, chatting about whatever and catching up, I have to hold my emotions in check for how right it feels. Your birthfamily (collectively) are not only our family, but our friends. I love that! They are the sweetest, most loving, accepting people. I have a different relationship with each family member and none are one-sided. How did I ever deserve to be so blessed? You didn't ask as many questions this time as we left and I wonder if this is somehow solidifying in your mind. You vividly recalled the last time we were there, the stuffed animal snake that was gifted, and who's house we were at, the chickens, all of it. I feel relief and comfort that we can talk openly about our unique family tree. It will always be an approachable subject, and what a great model we can follow for other topics that will come up over the years. You can always talk to us, sweetheart, and your birthfamily wants to be there for you, too.

When you and I were on the way home to Oregon, we were stranded in Seattle for a bit due to weather. We had to take two additional flights to get home, arriving a whole day later than we had planned. You were feeling exhausted and disoriented when we were on the last plane about to take off. Suddenly, you grab my arm and look up into my face with the widest most beautiful eyes ever and say, "Is this jet going to go fast?" Yes, I say...of course...we are on a plane sooooo ..... And then you said incredulously, "With children on it!?" Hahaha.... I just had to write that one down. Once I was able to extract my arm from your clutches, that is!

Last week we were in the kitchen and somehow baloney was brought up. Daddy said, I wonder where baloney comes from. Out of nowhere, you wander in and nonchalantly say, "Yeah, probably Scotland". Which makes me laugh because where did you get that idea from? But it also made me think. I think you have a much broader idea of this world than I did at your age, and even older. I had never left the country (living in northern Washington and crossing into Canada so doesn't count) and I highly doubt I could've found Scotland on a map. I am incredibly interested to see what you decide to do with your life using this knowledge and these experiences. I'm sure it will shape you, change you, and I wish I could look ahead and get a glimpse. It's exciting for Daddy and I... we really feel you can 'be anything you want to be' and the world is at your fingertips.

Lately you've been interested in math and you and Dad have been sitting at the table doing math problems while I finish making dinner or clean up. I can't believe how you light up when you figure something out and solve a problem. I wonder if math and science will be your strengths- we'll see!

We've changed up your room and got you a bigger bed. You feel super grown up and Dad and I love it because now we can actually fit on there when we lay down with you at night haha. These next few months I'm going to start decorating and getting your room all cute- I'm exited and glad you're at an age and ability to help make design choices. We'll have to take some 'before & after' pictures!

We love you, sweet girl. I can't believe you're almost SIX!

Love
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment