Amelia
I'm a few days late on your letter this month- sorry darling! Today was kind of a fun day- we had daylight savings, you got to wear the biggest, fluffiest, sparkliest pretty pink dress I could find (and you loved it!), your last molar in this round popped through- HORRAY!-, and we ended up with a surprise snow storm this afternoon! We made a big breakfast of omelette, toast, country potatoes, and strawberries this morning and then went to church. We were planning to leave after sacrament because Daddy isn't feeling well but you cried the biggest crocodile tears when we said we weren't going to nursery. I felt terrible. So I took you to nursery, ran Daddy home to rest, then came back for my last classes and then you and I came home together. Today you also didn't get a nap but have been such a good girl, helping me make cookies and watching our traditional Sunday National Geographic. Monday we are doing FHE with our friends the Andersons, Tuesday we are feeding the missionaries and dropping off the food we had picked up for the 'feed the homeless' event we are pitching in for, Wednesdays are always our craziest day since Daddy and I both have meetings, Thursday you are getting your first haircut, and Friday Daddy is taking us all on a surprise getaway for two nights, three days. I'm not even sure where we are going but he promises a warm indoor pool so I'm sure you and I will love it! Needless to say, it's going to be a busy busy week!
You are completely in a 'kids say the darnedest things' stage, and I can't tell you how many times a day you make us laugh! Two weeks ago was one of the longest, hardest weeks as you had the worst ear infection ever. For a girl who has had as many as you (I lost track somewhere after 30), that's saying something. Poor thing we had to get your ear cultured and that, needless to say, was not your favorite thing. Afterwards, Daddy took you to get a special treat and you picked out a My Little Pony to add to your collection. It's purple with colorful hair that you can brush. Daddy asked what her name was and threw out some suggestions- I think Sparkles, Purple Pony, and Glitter may have been a few ideas. You said No to each idea and so he finally said, well, what is her name, then?! You laughed and said, "Barbecue!!!" Ha!
Or, last Sunday we were watching our nature show when suddenly things got a little graphic with the lion and the antelope who were "playing". Once I was able to put my hand down from covering your eyes we quickly realized I wasn't quick enough as you turned to me and exclaimed, "He needs to take smaller bites!!!" LOL! You often reprimand the characters in books or movies if you see they are breaking our rules. Such as, they need to wear shoes outside or their toes might get hurt! Or, no no no we don't hit! Or, uh-oh, they are not listening to their Mommy! They need to listen! Part of me cracks up and the other part of me realizes I need to be very careful about what I say and the rules we make! I read an article recently saying that for your age range it's important to not have too many rules but to absolutely stick to the ones you do have. It deserves more reflection to be certain, but I think we are actually doing fairly well at this. We have hard and fast rules like no feet on the table and you have to wear your seatbelt and no hitting....but I like to think other than the firm ones, we are pretty good about letting you make a lot of choices and helping to guide you to (hopefully) make the right ones. Sometimes it feels like as soon as we get one stage (mostly) down, we are right on out of it, but I think that's probably just life!
One thing you are into right now is this concept of something being "ours". Oh my goodness just thinking back to our conversations and your facial expressions, it cracks me up. Everything right now is "ours". If you want something you'll say, Um, Mom? Is this mine? And I'll respond, No, Mia, that is Mommy's. You'll actually smile and do this little chuckle ~ I kid you not ~ and say, Oh! It's ours!!! Then, in your mind, it is decided, and off you go while I stand there and try to think of all the ways I can get my respect (and my object) back LOL. We go back and forth sometimes with you continuously repeating how everything that is everyone's is either yours or "ours". Clever little girl :)
I think you are in a huge growth spurt right now. Last night you ate an entire box of macaroni and cheese, two pickles, strawberries, and milk. It was impressive! I had been out helping at a wedding reception and was surprised when I came home and Dad told me all you had eaten! You are sleeping much better now that the horrible ear infection is gone and I think we are all enjoying your sleeping through the night again.
Speaking of sleeping, we have had a huge shift in our good-night routine. Prior to 6 weeks ago, I would rock you and lay you in your bed, kiss you goodnight, and walk out of the room. RARELY did we ever have an issue where you wanted more attention, and when you did it was typically because you weren't feeling well. I never once had laid down with you unless it was the middle of the night. Anyway, I have been rocking you and then laying down with you every night for awhile now; we are probably coming up on two months, really. And I love it. I absolutely love it. My heart has been so achy lately...and I mean literal, real pain as I realize how big you are getting and how quickly childhood passes. Lately I have been trying to comfort myself and have actually come to the thought that when I die, if I am ever asked if there is anything I want, I can tell you right now I would choose to relive you all over again. Yes, I would take the hard times- the tantrums, the grocery store isle meltdowns, the spine arching madness, the late night/all nighters. But the joy. Oh, my sweet sweet darling, the joy. I would ask to see it all again; to feel you in my arms. To smell your hair and rub your tiny feet until you drift off. To watch you learn to dance. To walk backward. To say "tractor". To say your first prayer. To pinch your naked bum as you run down the hall away from me after bath. I would give up almost anything to just slow time down, to get to live more life of each day with you at these wonderful stages. Being your parents is the best thing that has ever happened to Daddy and I. We never forget it. We never forget Meri and her love for you. We will continually tell you of this love your whole life and I fervently pray you see how beautiful His plan for you is. I have so much that is in my heart right now. I can't help the tears as they flow down my cheeks. I love you so very much, Amelia. I know you can't stay little forever, and in truth, I don't want you to. You're going to grow up so strong and independent and smart. I am so happy I get to be a part of your journey.
oxoxoxoxoxoxox
forever and ever
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment